Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week 2?

I feel like I've been here FOREVER!! In a great way. I feel like I have known my friends here for WAY longer than two weeks, and St. Petersburg somehow feels familiar to me, even though I have barely seen anything when you consider how big and amazing the city is. Speaking of amazing, we have had so much sun lately!! It is amazing! Our teachers, who live here are shocked at how much sun St. Petersburg is providing us. No complaints here, though.


We took advantage of the BEAUTIFUL sun and went exploring on Saturday and found 2 flea markets as well as the most amazing kind-of-street food. I was exhausted by the end of the day, because we had stayed up late at a club the night before (which was also awesome), but the entire day was still a blast! Today, we went to the political history museum. Unfortunately, we could not take pictures, so I have none to show, but it was an amazing museum. They have everything from Lenin's desk, to old soviet propaganda, to a public poll of sorts on whether or not to have the death penalty (in the exhibit on public political executions).
     In other news, I am actually enjoying not having a phone. I know I cant respond to texts or calls (so please dont do either), and it is actually relaxing. Now if only I could do the same with Facebook. Anyways I also have some very exciting news. Kelcey and I booked our spring break trip! We are spending 2 days in Norway to see THE NORTHERN LIGHTS and two days in Barcelona!! I can't wait! Oh and one amazing aspect of this trip is that a week of travel to two countries, including stops in Tallinn (layover both out and back) only costs $100. All thanks to Kelcey who is a flight-finding goddess! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. It came down to price, convenience, timing (which was very difficult. We had several other plans that fell through, like Bulgaria), and the fact that in this scenario, we get to see the NORTHERN LIGHTS!! Can you tell that I am excited? Ok enough rambling. Pictures:
 This was literally a random side-of-the-road-while-walking-to-the-metro-from-the-museum shot. Conclusion: snow is still pretty.
 Russian architecture is awesome.
 I found an icicle, which was not hard to do. Also, note the beautiful weather behind me.
 A wonderful mosque that we also passed on the way home from the museum.

7 comments:

  1. Barcelona is one of my absolute FAVORITE cities!
    There is a chocolate museum (!!!) and a ton of cheap hostels on/near las ramblas.
    Let me know if you need the name of a place to stay or places to eat and I'd be more than happy to send them to you!

    Sounds like you are having an amazing time there, I am really jealous (especially seeing that the first Biomechanics exam is on Friday....)

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia! I'll definitely be asking for recommendations as spring break approaches. Good luck on Biomechanics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aahh that's absolutely gorgeous!! The NORTHERN LIGHTS??!!! Eeeee that's perfect, I'm glad you went with nature! Also, your pictures are amazing. And Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, loVe the bag (in pic #4)- hmm..I wonder who you got it from? haha, miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Cristina, I use that bag all the time. It has a zipper and a flap, which is nice because pickpocketing is an issue here and that bag is super safe. So thanks for the bag and thanks for following the blog! I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have become quite the traveler. Norway?! That is so cool! Let me know how the Northern Lights are. Also, I looked at your last picture and was like...I've seen this building before. The same doorway at least exists in Dubai. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete