Thursday, February 24, 2011

CKA, Defenders, and puzzles

They're going to have to drag me out of this country kicking and screaming. I'm really having a great time. I still love my classes. We are learning so much and it is all interesting. When I heard we would have 3 hours of Russian language a day as well as electives, I thought I would grow tired of Russian class, but so far, I was wrong. Our teachers are amazing at keeping us engaged.
     Last weekend our program took us to a hockey game, which reminded me a lot of BU hockey games. The only difference was that the cheers were in Russian. It was a great game and we all had a great time.
I was thrilled to see a hockey game in Russia and that CKA, the St. Petersburg team won!
Yesterday was Defenders' Day, or Men's day which means we didn't have school (we get Women's day off soon too) so I had a nice long day which included a trip downtown. This week has been pretty chill. Yesterday we started a very difficult puzzle down the hall. We may be working on it for a few more days because it is very frustrating. There is also a possibility that there are some missing pieces, which is just cruel. Also, tonight I had a home cooked meal! I went with Kelcey to meet her host family. The homestay kids are allowed to bring a sort of wing-man or buddy so that the first dinner is not so frightening. Well, Kelcey has an awesome family and they made us amazing food. We had a rice soup with carrots and rabbit (which really just tasted like chicken), a russian salad, pelmeni, and gingerbread. It was incredible. Tomorrow we have a field trip to Menshikov's palace for my St. Petersburg class. Apparently it is not open to the public, so this is a special treat. I think I will pay the camera fee, which I have been too stubborn to pay for the past few museums (including Dostoevsky's apartment, where we went last week) since I definitely can't go back on my own. So I'm really looking forward to that. I'll try to do more exploring this weekend, so hopefully I will have more to post about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment