Saturday, May 7, 2011

Peterhof

Ok I'll try to keep this short, since the pictures will do most of the explaining. Today AIFS took us to Peterhof, which was absolutely stunning. We had a private bus, which took 1.5 hours. The entire time, we thought it was going to rain and we lamented the bad weather, because we knew the fountains would be so much more beautiful in the sun. When we got there, we saw the palace, which was gorgeous, and waited for the main fountain to be turned on. As they turn on the amazing fountains, music plays. And the whole ordeal is magical. First of all, everything is GOLD

 Once the water turns on, it gets even more spectacular.
They gave us a few tours of the area, including the bath houses, which were super elaborate and looked very relaxing (I want one). Then we had free time, so I took a walk by the Gulf, where I saw a man standing in the wind in nothing but his underwear. Apparently this is common, and it is considered sunbathing, which is odd because it was still cloudy and at that point. Speaking of weather, though, the day ended up being beautiful, despite the yucky morning and reports that predicted heavy rain. By the time I was on my way back along the beach to return to the park, the sun was out and I was warm in my raincoat.
       I then walked around the park and was stunned by how amazing it was. I wish I could go back. There were fountains and trees everywhere. Everything was so clean, elaborate, and overwhelming to the senses. The nature at the park was also beautiful!

In summary, EVERYONE SHOULD SEE THIS PLACE! I had never heard of it before this program, and it is now near (if not at) the top of my list of most amazing places I have ever seen. It made me realize how lucky I am to be studying abroad with AIFS, which takes us on such amazing excursions and I am grateful for the Gilman scholarship, which allowed me to go on this amazing trip. So really, if you are even remotely near here, go see the fountains, but make sure they are on (aka dont come in winter). Also, bring me, because I definitely want to go back someday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment