Friday, May 13, 2011

Last week in Russia :(

I cant believe how quickly this semester went. I really am not ready to leave, and tomorrow is going to be a sad day. This week, however, has been wonderful. We had Monday off because of Victory day. There was a parade downtown, but I missed it because I was studying for finals. Tuesday I had two finals and then I had to study for my last final on Wednesday. Right after my last final, I went downtown and enjoyed the beautiful day. I met some Australian tourists, who were very nice and then I sat in a park for a bit. Then I volunteered in the Archaeology department at the Hermitage again. This time I got to work with bones, which was really cool! The women who worked there were showing me different specimens and explaining their significance. They also offered me coffee and tea during our break and we talked about politics (mainly the upcoming elections in both countries), economics, Russia vs. America, and lots of other interesting topics IN RUSSIAN! I was very proud of being able to say all of this in Russian. I am now very grateful to my conversation teacher, who taught us all this vocab. After they kicked me out  because we were done for the day, Esther and I went to our favorite Cafe and then walked around the city until we met up with our friend who took us around the city to a few places we hadnt been. It was very pretty.


It is truly amazing how long the days are here. It doesnt get dark until about 10 or 11. Seriously, I took this next picture close to 10 pm:
Still light outside! Also, the streets are still decorated from Victory Day.

 And I took this one a little after 10, and it is STILL very light! Its actually quite nice because you can get a lot more done.

 The next day Esther and I went to the Hermitage for the last time and saw the rest of the exhibits so we have officially seen every single room of one of the largest museums in the world! We were quite proud, then we went to St. Isaacs, and I climbed to the top and saw a panoramic view of the city!


Then we went for a lovely walk and ended up at the Naval museum and then I went to Peter and Paul fortress, which is one of the first places we went to when we got here, so it seemed right to go back.
    After that was the boat trip that AIFS took us on, followed by our goodbye dinner. It was really fun and a great way to end out our semester.
    Today we received our certificates of graduation as well as our transcripts. We said bye to the professors who were there and then Stephanie and I went on a lovely walk and said our goodbyes to downtown St. Petersburg. There were a few festivals/concerts downtown. I imagine there are even more in the summer, which makes me wish even more that we could stay! Tomorrow we leave, and I cant believe how wonderful this semester has been.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment