Monday, April 4, 2011

City Walks, Orchestra, and Salsa, oh my!

I have been doing a lot of walking this week, mainly because the weather has been nice. I also love walking downtown and I have found this amazing cafe on невский проспект (the main street in the center of the city), near the Hermitage. The prices are very reasonable, their pastries are amazing, and the ambiance is great for doing some work. On Thursday a friend and I went downtown for lunch and then went to the Russian museum again. Here is my favorite painting :

The museum closes pretty early so we headed home at around 6. On the way home, we passed by a protest that people were having near a major metro station (the one we needed). They were chanting "its our city!" in Russian. It didnt look like a huge protest, nor did it look violent, but it was interesting to see (from a distance!).
  On another note, I am still loving my classes! In our conversation class, we are discussing sociological problems. We discussed the criminal justice system here, drug problems, and the moral debate about the death penalty. All in Russian, btw, which is thrilling and I am really proud that we are able to carry out conversations/debates about such complex topics in Russian. This week we are discussing medicine, which means I should probably get around to learning all the body parts, because right now my anatomy vocab is limited.
    On Saturday AIFS took us to see a classical orchestra (so I got to see two this week!) and they were also amazing. They had one opera singer who looked like a stick in a dress, but she had one of the most powerful voices I have ever heard. The conductor looked like he was having a great time, and unlike last weekend's performance, he talked to us between songs. That night it was my friend's birthday party. I met her at one of the interclub meetings I have been going to in order to meet more students in the dorms and practice my Russian so we went Salsa dancing. It was a lot of fun, and I really want to go back sometime soon! Well this week we have a Russian ballet to look forward to as well as a possible jazz club outing for another friend's birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment